Traumatic cardiac arrest

schiller181 at comcast.net schiller181 at comcast.net
Tue May 26 15:00:29 BST 2015

Paul.
Yes and yes.
Medical cardiac arrest - ROSC is paramount, if we don't establish prior to transport then it's pretty much game over so we stay and fight at point of contact upwards of 20-30 minutes depending on presenting rhythm. We have fairly robust field termination language which calls for aggressive ACLS attempts at ROSC with options for field termination if subsequently unsuccessful.

Traumatic cardiac arrest (no signs of life)- 3 categories
1. Blunt trauma - pronounce on scene
2. Penetrating trauma outside of the cardiac window and not immediately reversible with chest decompression or airway- pronounce on scene
3. Penetrating trauma to the cardiac window and < 8 minutes to a scalpel - immediate transport with any interventions done en route.

These policies stem from the research done on survivability of trauma patients, which the group can probably cite chapter and verse better then I.
These are, of course, policy guidelines and exceptions are made if diagnostics or field conditions warrant them. Feel free to contact me off line and I can get you our SOPs and the evidence from which it is established.

Regards,
Susan

Susan Schiller, NRP
Deputy Superintendent, Field Operations