A question. Does anyone use scoring systems for amount of hemorrhage seen on CT like we use with AFAST?

Robert Smith rfsmithmd at comcast.net
Tue Jan 13 17:58:27 GMT 2015

Maybe the List can help me understand the role of FAST. I’m old and confused and it seems like its’ use has evolved. I thought FAST was for use in an unstable patient to see if the presence of blood in the abdomen indicated that this was the body cavity likely containing the injuries causing the instability. I thought this was a qualitative, not a quantitative test. I have not understood the practice of getting a FAST and then sending the patient to CT.

Help.

Rob

Robert F. Smith MD, MPH
Cook County Trauma (ret)