James "Red" Duke

aarantz at comcast.net aarantz at comcast.net
Fri Aug 28 17:29:18 BST 2015

Red Duke came to Michigan as a visiting professor back in 1985, when I was a resident there. He was a good friend of Bob Bartlett. In those days, back in the Jurassic era, a visiting professor could come and do a case for teaching purposes. Can't do that these days, but it was common back then. And I am told that it is a Murphy's law, that those cases, designed to be routine and uncomplicated, invariably go bad. Such was the case with Dr. Duke and a routine cholecystectomy that he was assigned to do with one of our third year residents.
The case started out very routine. Red Duke was a resident's dream, easily able to teach and operate at the same time, funny, and very good. Those of us not doing the case would periodically stick our head in to the OR to pick some pearl that he would provide. I recall looking in early on, routine case, Dr. Duke teaching, in cowboy boots, I might add.  I came back about 30-40 minutes later, and there was a cholangiogram up on the viewbox, and the room was decidedly more quiet. I left and came back about 45 minutes later, there were two more pictures up on the viewbox, the duodenum was up in the wound, and a sweating Red Duke was saying to the third year resident, "Can you tie the knot, boy? Can you tie it? Cause I just can't stand to see you break another one."

Rick Pomerantz
Richard Pomerantz, MDDepartment of Surgery, Section of General SurgerySt. Joseph Mercy HospitalAnn Arbor, MIaarantz at comcast.net

----- Original Message -----From: Brett Dodwell <Brett.Dodwell at memorialhermann.org>To: 'trauma-list at trauma.org' <trauma-list at trauma.org>Sent: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 14:16:26 -0000 (UTC)Subject: James "Red" Duke

Alas, we mourn the loss of another trauma icon.Godspeed Dr. Duke, it was truly an honor to learn from you.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/James-Red-Duke-iconic-surgeon-who-started-Life-6465434.php

"Down, down, down into the darkness of the graveGently they go, the beautiful, the tender, the kind;Quietly they go, the intelligent, the witty, the brave.I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned."

Brett Dodwell, BSN RN CENTrauma Program Manager

[TW logo][Description: U:\2012 Magnet Designation\New Logo 2012\Magnet Recognition Logo CMYK jpg.JPG]Memorial Hermann The Woodlands Hospital9250 Pinecroft Ave, The Woodlands, TX 77380P. 713-897-5783brett.dodwell at memorialhermann.org