Splenic injury case

Duchesne, Juan C jduchesn at tulane.edu
Sat Dec 27 21:34:48 GMT 2014

Seat belt syndrome is a real issue here, this combine with a splenic
injury and shock in blunt trauma needs further attention. If you are a
minimalist the least I will recommend is a DPL. If you are an aggressive
minimalist then I will recommend a diagnostic laparoscopic exam.......and
if you just want to do what is the right answer on the ABS boards you
extend that DPL incision a little bit more upward until you reach the
xiphoid and a little bit more downward to reach the pubis ;)

Key points: Define observation?
1.FAST as documented by Nicole in Archives 2002 doest have any role in
seatbelt syndrome. Title: Abdominal Seatbelt Marks in the ERA of FAST.
2. F/U CT scans are inconclusive at best
3. Serial PE- this needs to be done by the same examiner and although it
sounds great.....good luck in finding that person. When to finish this
serial PE? Once SIRS is identified? Small Bowel devascularization with
gangrene and perforation might not occur until late (day 5 to day 8)
4. Serial labs: WBC might increase due to 1. bowel injury 2.spleen infarct
3.sepsis 4. Other missed injuries

I personally don't like to observe polytrauma patients with too many
variables in the air

My 2 cents