Resuscitation arterial line

Matt Dunn Matt.Dunn at southerndhb.govt.nz
Wed Dec 10 22:43:55 GMT 2014

Haven't seen it done for a long time, but when I was newly qualified we sometimes deliberately chose arteries for rapid transfusions. Didn't see many of them, but didn't see any particular problems with them.

The other thing you could do in this situation (popular-ish in the late 90s) is a cut down on the long saphenous at the groin. It's the quickest, easiest and most reliable site for a cut down. Advantage of cut down is you can cannulate a completely collapsed vein.

Matt Dunn