Trauma Symbol

Jonathan Marrow jonathan at marrow.com
Sun Jan 22 23:44:48 GMT 2012

Many editions of Baillie and Love's Short textbook of Surgery carried the wound man as Fig 1.  Used by generations of med students in the UK.  Mine is from 1977.  They attribute the image to a treatise on war surgery from the middle ages.

For those who like full references, even if not from a peer-reviewed journal:

Wound Man - Johannes Wechtlin - The Fieldbook of Wound Surgery - 1517

Wechtlin's Wound Man is one of the supporters of the full coat of arms of the College of Emergency Medicine in the UK and Ireland.  On the other side of the shield, the supporter is a Whole Man, all injuries healed.  More detail available, if the list is interested.

Google search for "wound man" instead of "trauma man" gives many fascinating variants on this traditional image originating from various cultures.  Poor fellows, they can certainly make an audience sit up but you may want to think rather carefully about the purpose and message of a widely used or even "universal" symbol.

I will watch discussions with interest.
Good wishes
Jonathan Marrow
Emergency Physician, Wirral, UK