Non-CT radiological investigation of facial trauma

James Smirniotopoulos james-smirnio at usuhs.mil
Fri Jan 20 10:53:59 GMT 2012

The current "standard of care" is thin section MDCT with 3D or other reconstructions as needed.  Radiologists in North America are no longer being trained to read plain films.  MR is better for somethings, but CT for facial trauma is still the standard.

James G. Smirniotopoulos, M.D.
Professor of Radiology, Neurology, and Biomedical Informatics
Chief Editor, MedPix Teaching File
Director, Imaging and Diagnostics
Center for Neuroscience and Regenerative Medicine
Uniformed Services University
4301 Jones Bridge Road
Bethesda, MD 20814

FAX: 301-295-3893
TEL: 301-295-3145

Website - http://rad.usuhs.edu/medpix/parent.php3?mode=cow_sorter#top
"Success is not measured by who gets credit.  Success is measured by getting things done." Connie Morella

"May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion."  Dwight D. Eisenhower
>>> Stephen Richey  01/20/12 1:40 AM >>>
I have a question for the members of the list regarding assessment of
facial trauma using x-rays in the setting where CT or MRI is not
available.  What studies would you want done to as completely as
possible rule out facial and anterior cranial fossa fracture?  I am
working on a paper advocating for more complete documentation of
injuries in trauma victims at autopsy (for reasons of studying injury
biomechanics) and one of the major problems with the current data is
that it is lacking in sufficient detail.  One way of remedying this is
to advocate increased radiographic techniques.  CT or MRI while
optimal is not always an option although it seems to be becoming more
and more popular.

Thank you to everyone who has any input on this matter.

--
Stephen Richey
Founder and Chief Researcher/Designer

 "I think the best thing, and the only thing in our infinite
inadequacy in making up for the loss of life, is to say something we
have been able to say in a lot of other accidents to grieving
families.  That is 'Those deaths will not be in vain. We will not let
them be in vain. Every one of those lives will be made to count in
terms of making sure that three, four, five or ten other people do not
die."- John J. Nance