Interesting piece in todays WSJ.Re: Alright, , Lets Call it a Draw

Charles Brault c_brault at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 20 17:17:50 GMT 2012

Pret ! !

You are in top shape !

A gem !

Charles

----- Original Message -----
From: Pret Bjorn <p.bjorn at tds.net>
To: 'Trauma-List [TRAUMA.ORG]' <trauma-list at trauma.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2012 12:10 PM
Subject: RE: Interesting piece in todays WSJ.Re: Alright, , Lets Call it a Draw

First, the WSJ article, which has its interesting points but strikes me
mostly as a masterpiece of cherry-picking: if US gun rights proponents want
to point to this data, it's only fair to complain that US numbers are
conspicuously absent.

If we accept the authors' hypothesis, then with a firearm rate of 89k per
100k -- the highest in the world -- the United States should expect to be
the least homicide-prone nation on the planet.  Instead, we barely crack the
top ONE HUNDRED.  And by my reckoning, if you count only the representative
democracies, we're LAST.  By approximately a fucking mile.

Which brings me to the YouTube gem.

Such filthy propaganda reaches for the most primal and pathetic fears of the
far right, which assumes that America is in imminent danger of
totalitarianism.  This is of course laughable to anyone with even a fraction
of a brain in his head.  Vic.

In spite of what the Tea Party wants its lemmings to believe, representative
democracies are, by both design and definition, immune to tyranny.  The
Nazi's weren't powerless to Hitler's domination; they signed up for it by
the thousands, and their flawed republic consumed itself.

There's no secret to keeping representative government in check.  It's
keeping it REPRESENTATIVE.  You'll know when the tyrants are coming not
because they take your guns, but because they divide the population,
marginalize the moderates, and take control of the voting apparatus.  Trust
me, if that ever happens in America, it won't be subtle.

Hey.  Wait a minute...