Alright, , Lets Call it a Draw

Miranda Voss mvossak at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 18 21:24:54 GMT 2012

Tim,
I have to take issue with that. Certainly in the Cape we see far less gun violence now than we did in the early 1990s when the wars in Mozambique and Angola ended and you could apparently buy a Kalashnikov in the townships for $30. I think the South African experience suggests that increased gun violence is associated with ease of weapon ownership.
Miranda
Worcester SA.
(Can't believe I have contributed on this topic!)

Hi all

We tried this in South Africa - even paid people for their (legal) guns - did not work. Now the illegal guns coming in from countries previously at civil war is far worse - and the criminals have them.

Tim
Dr Timothy Hardcastle
UKZN Trauma Surgery Training Unit
IALCH Trauma and Trauma ICU
Hardcastle at ukzn.ac.za / timothyhar at ialch.co.za
Mobile +27824681615
Postal: PostNet 27, Private Bag X05, MALVERN, 4055
Durban, South Africa