Recent Incident

dgsweigert at juno.com dgsweigert at juno.com
Sat Dec 15 20:06:10 GMT 2012

Team:

This is a teachable moment for ED and ER staff.

Often times gang members will drop off gun shot wound (GSW) victims at the ED/ER.

Rival gang units will learn of the location and enter the hospital to seek out the rival member for execution.

In view of the above situation, do you want to lobby for more gun control laws (Conn. is fifth in the nation for tough gun control laws) or do you want to develop proactive procedures for an active shooter incident at your facility?

This is a good time to revisit the active shooter protocol at your facility.  Some questions:

Do you have a plan to push out your outer perimeter of your ED/ER with security staff?

Do you practice and drill an active shooter event at your facility?

What is your plan for law enforcement officers (LEO) to be posted as a deterence?

Rather than use this forum as a gun control political debate (which is ok with me), I think it is prudent to use this teachable moment to revisit mass casuality plans, security plans, active shooter drills, etc.

Just my $0.02

David Sweigert, M.Sci.
EMT-B, HazMat FRO, Paramedic-trainee