Medical Helicopters: Worth the Cost, Risk?

Gross, Ronald Ronald.Gross at baystatehealth.org
Wed Apr 18 14:50:05 BST 2012

I rarely disagree with Dr. Mattox, but in this case I think he has misrepresented the ACCS COT's position on Level I vs. Level III or IV trauma centers.  I would refer you to the current edition of the "Optimal Resources" document, aka "the Green Book", to see how the COT differentiates these centers , and see how the COT feels distribution of patients should be handled.  The major issue that was not referenced in Dr. Mattox's comment was case load/patient volume which translates into experience, capacity and capability.  I will stop there.

Ronald I. Gross, MD, FACS
Associate Professor of Surgery, Tufts University School of Medicine
Chief of Trauma & Emergency Surgery Services
Baystate Medical Center
759 Chestnut Street
Springfield, MA  01199
413-794-4022