Medical Helicopters: Worth the Cost, Risk?

K Mattox kmattox at aol.com
Wed Apr 18 03:07:53 BST 2012

The greater Houston area has 5 level 1 Trauma Centers all appropriately verified by ACS and the State of Texas.

UTMB in Galveston
BTGH
Memorial Hermann Hospital
Texas Children's Hospital
Memorial Children's Hospital

In addition there are More Than 15 level 2 or level 3 Trauma centers

According to the ACS there is no quality difference between a Level 1 and a level 3 except for neuro trauma and cardiopulmonary bypass.

These quality and approved trauma and acute care centers ( almost 20 in number) cover over 500 square miles and are scattered throughout the community.

Real time motion data and meta analysis has demonstrated in the greater Houston metropolitan area the time from injury and notification until time of arrival at a trauma center is shorter in Houston than for helicopter transport

The only pre/ post availability study I know of is a years analysis at UTMB (Galveston) using helicopters vs the first year after helicopter transport was discontinued.    For same service area and severity the mortality andorbidity was identical.    From many different methods of analysis the various Houston metropolitan area for air ambulance can be used to underscore an overuse and negative outcome clinical and cost data analysis.

Sent from my iPhone