Giving packed red blood cells in the prehospital phase of care... a good idea?

Jason Cillo jasoncillo at comcast.net
Sat Apr 7 01:29:32 BST 2012

This was a while ago, but when I was a resident on StatMedevac in Pittsburgh, we carried blood and could give it if we saw fit. We carried it in a cooler separate from other emergency medications we carried. The only time I gave it was when we were called to a rural scene run of a GI bleeder who was hypotensive. I never gave it to any of the trauma patients I was called to see because they didn't ned it. That doesn't mean there aren't those who do.

My 2 cents,

...Jason