Giving packed red blood cells in the prehospital phase of care... a good idea?

Marty Munro marty_munro at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 6 21:45:45 BST 2012

Speaking as a paramedic, I would not want this responsibility. It's just one more thing to go wrong in an often unstable environment, and one more reason for me to lose my certification, job, or be sued. We are always taught to limit our scene times in traumas and provide required care en route, for obvious reasons. This means that often, we are unable to establish an I.V. due extreme movement of the vehicle, accessibility of available veins and the requirement to maintain a patent airway as a priority. Therefore, arriving at the emergency department/trauma room in a timely manner is a medic's priority. There is conflicting evidence as to whether or not a fluid bolus is even beneficial, and evidence that suggests it is harmful to the trauma patient. So now, if medics start carrying blood, will they be expected to always have blood running en route to the hospital? And when they are unable to, suddenly the topic becomes "the patient could have survived
 had the paramedics started an I.V. and given blood en route".  The law suit begins, the medics lose their certifications and become the subject of an investigation and inquest.  And if they do start an I.V. and give blood and the patient dies, the topic becomes "paramedics wasted time by starting blood en route to the hospital". I am all for progressive medicine in the pre-hospital care, but I think that those who choose to implement certain things should try this first. Next time a trauma comes in to the hospital, instead of going to the nice bright trauam room, the patient should be taken into a utility closet, with only one physician and one extra person and all the care should be provided in a cramped closet by the single person while the extra person continuously shakes the mattress of the bed. Then think about how realistic/beneficial adding in extra skills/procedures is to pre-hospital staff. That's just my opinion.

Marty Munro
Advanced Care Paramedic
Ontario, Canada