C1/C2 injury

Kenneth Mak kenmaksw at gmail.com
Tue May 31 00:40:44 BST 2011

Thanks for all previous comments.
Yes, I haven't found much references in the literature to rotatory
subluxation at C1/C2 to this mechanism of injury.
Patient was intubated during CPR when she was having PEA. No neuromuscular
blockage was administered.
She is not paralysed and yes, the torticollis is persisting, with the neck
immobilised in place.
I'm grateful for the reminder from Dr McSwain to avoid excessive fluid
needed to maintain adequate urine output.
We did not arrange an MRI scan earlier, as we didn't have a MR compatible
ventilator available when she presented to the hospital. But I don't think
the torticollis is physiological.
Dr Mattox's comments about the need for ethical considerations are cogent. I
did not present this information earlier - this young lady is a contract
domestic maid from overseas with no family in the country. We're trying to
contact her family to participate in a discussion about treatment and
resuscitation goals. Over the last 72h, she remains neurologically flat,
without sedation or paralsis. Pupillary reflexes are absent. We're hoping to
get in touch with the family before we commence tests for brain stem
function. Unless determined otherwise, we remain committed to supporting her
in the ICU.

Regards,
Kenneth Mak
Singapore