Nurse, Medics, RTs, etc., Heel Thyself

Doc Holiday drydok at hotmail.com
Sun May 15 18:11:51 BST 2011

> Subject: Nurse, Medics, RTs, etc., Heel Thyself

--> Well...

What you read below is what happens when we find ourselves stuck at an airport with only a laptop for company, waiting for a delayed flight...

We have time to read things and bounce ideas around the group (BTW, we are a combined group of nurses, docs, paramedics and even a police officer, on our way to a course)...

This one is quite a funny one, actually... If anyone wishes to read what follows in any way other than the humorous one we intended, then PLEASE DON'T!

Here goes:

> Physician, Heel Thyself...

--> Such an invitation physicians should not refuse. What physician would not want to heel themselves? The accumulation of wealth, so long as it's not at the expense of more important things? Well, that would be nice. A well-heeled physician might be a happier one...

Or otherwise, nurse Brown should avail herself of the services of a better-heeled editor, who can afford a better grammar-checking process for writers who mix their vowels...

> ...a friendly, middle-aged man, jokingly asked his doctor whom he should yell at

--> I think (please assist with a reference if you can) that humour between physician and patient has been shown to aid healing (with "ea"). So this appears to be an attempt at "PATIENT heal thyself", but shows how comfortable this patient feels with his/her physician that he can joke with him/her. Well done, doc!

> Turning and pointing at the patient’s nurse, the doctor replied, “If you  want to  scream at anyone, scream at her.”

--> We were'nt there, but we believe that this level of humour would depend for its success on the performer's sense of comedic timing and use of facial expressions. In the UK, there'd be no problem - this is the humour Brits thrive on. Some other places... Well... It might be completely misunderstood, especially by someone so wrapped up in their own insecurities as to miss the humour in the patient's comment first - that clear and obvious invitation to a sarcastic comedy response from the physician.

>  As we walked out of the patient’s room I asked the doctor if I could quote him

--> This is apparently the nurse completely failing to grasp the humour of the situation and the comedic intent (and the healing intention behind it) to which she has just been witness and then her neglecting to make this sense of humour failure clear to the physician before "building" on it.

> “It’s a time-honored tradition — blame the  nurse whenever anything goes wrong.”

--> Some more comedic cynicism with a humble built-in apology for past wrongs...

>  I felt stunned and insulted

--> ...Completely missed yet again by Sense-of-humour-failure-Brown...

>  But my own feelings are one thing...

--> Indeed?

Well then it's a mighty big "one thing" becuase it seems her feelings are the main thrust behind the "logic" which follows...

> ... the problem such attitudes pose to patient health

--> This would, of course, be very true, if it were not completely false and against evidence which indicates humour actually IMPROVES health and healthcare for both patients AND providers!

> ... too few see it as a serious issue.

--> Which is probably because IT WAS A JOKE!

Duh!

> If doctors are generals, nurses are  a  combination of infantry and aides-de-camp.

--> What a misguided comparison and a poor concept of team-work! If docs were generals, they'd not be on the front line ALONGSIDE the nurses! Ms Brown appears to have transplanted her misery onto a comic situation and come up with causality...

> We administer medications, prep patients for tests, interpret...

--> Gosh, who knew?

> But while most doctors clearly respect their colleagues on the nursing  staff,  every nurse knows at least one, if not many, who don’t.

--> And here is an example of a nurse who does not respect a doctor enough to first explain her own complete misunderstanding of an obvious joke before serving her own pre-conceived purposes writing about it...

> Indeed, every nurse has a story like mine

--> This is a remarkable level of knowledge of all nurses. Who'd think she had the time to check...

> And because doctors are at the top of the food chain...

--> And thus we move on from the battlefield to the jungle... Where, apparently, doctors do not merely boss nurses about but actually feed on them...

>  the bad behavior of even a  few of them can set a corrosive tone for the whole organization.

--> How lucky we all are that writing this sort of crapola has a positive effect...

> Nurses in  turn  bully other nurses...

--> When one considers that nurses have "access" to nurses before they ever meet their first doctor, while they are still students, one can see how inter-nurse bullying at that important phase CONDITIONS nurses into mis-interpretation of doctors' intentions when the latter attempt humour...

> ...The result, not surprisingly, is a rise in avoidable medical errors, the  cause  of perhaps 200,000 deaths a year.

--> Even those who did the "research" mentioned did not suggest that THIS was the cause of "perhaps 200,000 deaths"...

> ...employees need to know they can report incidents confidentially...

--> Unless they first, through subterfuge, obtain permission to publish them to everyone before getting the facts straight...

> I wish I could say otherwise, but after being publicly slapped down, I will  think twice before speaking up around him again...

--> Quite a jump this is... From not thinking at all to thinking twice! Once would have been enough, probably.

> ... it’s definitely not in  my  patients’ best interest

--> It's not YOUR patient, nurse Brown. There is a team involved - remember? Use the word "our" and begin to think of the other carers as if they also have a role... And a sense of humour!

---

And now it's time for dinner before we fly...