Nurse, Medics, RTs, etc., Heel Thyself

Charles Brault c_brault at yahoo.com
Sun May 15 10:57:20 BST 2011

I don't know,
To me
This very example in this article
Is way more telling
- Of the nurses (Medic, RTs, etc.) persisting inferiority complexe/Insecurity
and an indice of their new and evolving affirmation of (professional)
self-assurance (a good thing)

Than
- The MDs arrogance and old & persistent attitudes

________________________________

May 7, 2011
Physician, Heel Thyself
By THERESA BROWN
Pittsburgh
IT was morning rounds in the hospital and the entire medical team stood in the
patient’s room. A test result was late, and the patient, a friendly, middle-aged
man, jokingly asked his doctor whom he should yell at.

Turning and pointing at the patient’s nurse, the doctor replied, “If you want to
scream at anyone, scream at her.”

This vignette is not a scene from the medical drama “House,” nor did it take
place 30 years ago, when nurses were considered subservient to doctors. Rather,
it happened just a few months ago, at my hospital, to me.

As we walked out of the patient’s room I asked the doctor if I could quote him
in an article. “Sure,” he answered. “It’s a time-honored tradition — blame the
nurse whenever anything goes wrong.”

I felt stunned and insulted. But my own feelings are one thing; more important
is the problem such attitudes pose to patient health. They reinforce the
stereotype of nurses as little more than candy stripers, creating a hostile and
even dangerous environment in a setting where close cooperation can make the
difference between life and death. And while many hospitals have anti-bullying
policies on the books, too few see it as a serious issue.

Today nurses are highly trained professionals, and in the best situations we
form a team with the hospital’s doctors. If doctors are generals, nurses are a
combination of infantry and aides-de-camp.

After all, patients are admitted to hospitals because they need round-the-clock
nursing care. We administer medications, prep patients for tests, interpret
medical jargon for family members and double-check treatment decisions with the
patient’s primary team. Nurses are also the hospital’s front line: we sound the
alert if a patient takes a serious turn for the worse.

But while most doctors clearly respect their colleagues on the nursing staff,
every nurse knows at least one, if not many, who don’t.

Indeed, every nurse has a story like mine, and most of us have several. A nurse
I know, attempting to clarify an order, was told, “When you have ‘M.D.’ after
your name, then you can talk to me.” A doctor dismissed another’s complaint by
simply saying, “I’m important.”

When a doctor thoughtlessly dresses down a nurse in front of patients or their
families, it’s not just a personal affront, it’s an incredible distraction,
taking our minds away from our patients, focusing them instead on how powerless
we are.

That said, the most damaging bullying is not flagrant and does not fit the
stereotype of a surgeon having a tantrum in the operating room. It is passive,
like not answering pages or phone calls, and tends toward the subtle:
condescension rather than outright abuse, and aggressive or sarcastic remarks
rather than straightforward insults.

And because doctors are at the top of the food chain, the bad behavior of even a
few of them can set a corrosive tone for the whole organization. Nurses in turn
bully other nurses, attending physicians bully doctors-in-training, and
experienced nurses sometimes bully the newest doctors.

Such an uncomfortable workplace can have a chilling effect on communication
among staff. A 2004 survey by the Institute for Safe Medication Practices found
that workplace bullying posed a critical problem for patient safety: rather than
bring their questions about medication orders to a difficult doctor, almost half
the health care personnel surveyed said they would rather keep silent.
Furthermore, 7 percent of the respondents said that in the past year they had
been involved in a medication error in which intimidation was at least partly
responsible.

The result, not surprisingly, is a rise in avoidable medical errors, the cause
of perhaps 200,000 deaths a year.

Concerned about the role of bullying in medical errors, the Joint Commission,
the primary accrediting body for American health care organizations, has warned
of a distressing decline in trust among hospital employees and, with it, a
decline in the quality of medical outcomes.

What can be done to counter hospital bullying? For one thing, hospitals should
adopt standards of professional behavior and apply them uniformly, from the
housekeepers to nurses to the president of the hospital. And nurses and other
employees need to know they can report incidents confidentially.

Offending parties, whether doctors or nurses, would be required to undergo
civility training, and particularly intransigent doctors might even have their
hospital privileges — that is, their right to admit patients — revoked.

But to be truly effective, such change can’t be simply imposed bureaucratically.
It has to start at the top. Because hospitals tend to be extremely hierarchical,
even well-meaning doctors tend to respond much better to suggestions and
criticisms from people they consider their equals or superiors. I’ve noticed
that doctors otherwise prone to bullying will tend to become models of civility
when other doctors are around.

In other words, alongside uniform, well-enforced rules, doctors themselves need
to set a new tone in the hospital corridors, policing their colleagues and
letting new doctors know what kind of behavior is expected of them.

This shouldn’t be hard: most doctors are kind, well-intentioned professionals,
and I rarely have a problem talking openly with them. But unless we can change
the overall tone of the workplace, doctors like the one who insulted me in front
of my patient will continue to act with impunity.

I wish I could say otherwise, but after being publicly slapped down, I will
think twice before speaking up around him again. Whether that was his intention,
or whether he was just being thoughtlessly callous, it’s definitely not in my
patients’ best interest.

Theresa Brown, an oncology nurse, is a contributor to The Times’s Well blog and
the author of “Critical Care: A New Nurse Faces Death, Life and Everything in
Between.”http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/08/opinion/08Brown.html?pagewanted=print

________________________________

May 14, 2011
When Doctors Humiliate Nurses
To the Editor:
Re “Physician, Heel Thyself” (Op-Ed, May 8):
As a nurse for more than 25 years and the author of a book to teach nurses how
to combat bullying from physicians and others in health care, I applaud Theresa
Brown’s first-person account of her experience.

Beyond humiliating nurses, physicians who abuse nurses endanger the very
patients they profess to protect. Leadership from health care administrators,
medical staff and policy makers is needed to change this appalling practice.
What other profession would tolerate such abuse?

Nurses, too, can rally around an abused nurse in a practice called “code pink.”
The word is passed nurse to nurse, and colleagues gather around the beleaguered
nurse. Few physicians can stand the scrutiny of neutral-faced nurses standing
silent beside one of their own.

At more than three million strong, nurses are the largest group of health care
professionals. They, and their patients, deserve better.

ELEANOR J. SULLIVAN
St. Louis, May 8, 2011
The writer is the author of the forthcoming book “Becoming Influential: A Guide
for Nurses” (second edition).

To the Editor:
There are some medical issues I wish we could end once and for all. As Theresa
Brown wrote, doctor superiority, especially at the expense of nurses and other
staff, is one of them.

The best doctors I know consider themselves part of a team and use the team’s
knowledge to the advantage of the patient. They think “patient first” and draw
on the experience of nurses, laboratory technicians and other medical
professionals. The patient receives the doctor’s best treatment advice based on
the collective knowledge of the team.

Doctors who accept only their own counsel are putting ego before medicine,
possibly at the expense of the patient. Hospital care should be based on
collective wisdom to reach the best treatment plan. Nurses, doctors and all
highly trained medical professionals each have a role to play, each of which is
invaluable to the patient.

HERBERT PARDES
President and Chief Executive
NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
New York, May 9, 2011
To the Editor:
Today, hospitals pride themselves on providing patient-centered care by a
multidisciplinary team, a hallmark of their quality. When one team member
bullies another, patient care suffers. As a nurse, I would not want my family
member or my nursing students in a hospital where physicians demean and insult
their nurse colleagues, thus hampering their ability to care.

A culture of civility and a climate of respect and dignity not only win the day
but also ensure patient safety and quality care.

It’s time physicians learned that nurses are on their team, poised to manage
complex critical decisions and care for their patients. Please, no bullying — it
hurts.

DONNA M. NICKITAS
Old Greenwich, Conn., May 8, 2011
The writer is a nursing professor at Hunter College, Hunter-Bellevue School of
Nursing.

To the Editor:
I cry out from the absolute bottom of the health care totem pole, a desperate
plea from a lowly third-year medical student. The unprofessional behavior cited
by Theresa Brown is sent on down the line from the top doctors to the house
staff to the nurses and eventually to students like me.

Ms. Brown is right: institutionalized standards of professional behavior and a
way to submit confidential incident reports should be in place, but is it really
too much to ask health care professionals just to take a stance and pledge to
treat one another right, regardless of this arbitrary hierarchy we’ve created?

In the meantime, I’ll pass along some advice I got from my seventh-grade
guidance counselor about bullying: “Annie, just kill ’em with kindness.”

ANNIE ONISHI
New York, May 8, 2011
To the Editor:
Of course nurses aren’t the only target of doctor-bullying. Patients, too,
cannot guarantee that their doctors will treat them as equals. And sometimes
they can be patronized in front of strangers.

During my stint as a linguistic researcher at a rather famous Northeastern
hospital, I attended daily rounds for new doctors. One (memorable) morning, the
attending physician was proudly displaying to his audience all the skills that
had been lost by an elderly man who had recently suffered a stroke. Look at how
he cannot repeat after me, how he has trouble holding up two fingers, now three
fingers and so on.

The doctor then filled a small cup with water and asked the patient to slowly
raise it and drink from it, all the time winking at us that he wouldn’t be able
to do so. The cup got halfway to the patient’s mouth, at which point revenge was
had: he tossed the water all over the physician.

SUSAN J. BEHRENS
Brooklyn, May 8, 2011

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/15/opinion/l15nurse.html?hpw