Transfer from ICU

Phyllis.Uribe at HealthONEcares.com Phyllis.Uribe at HealthONEcares.com
Tue May 3 22:11:47 BST 2011

We only let the ICU team take care of medical patients...the Trauma Surgeons are intensivists and maintain control of the trauma patient in ICU.

Phyllis Uribe
ph:  303-788-5082
phyllis.uribe at healthonecares.com
www.swedishhospital.com

-----Original Message-----
From: McSwain, Norman E [mailto:nmcswai at tulane.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 7:14 AM
To: Trauma-List [TRAUMA.ORG]
Subject: Transfer from ICU

Of late, it seems that many of our patients get transferred out of the
ICU, to the floor to the general surgery service, to ortho, to
neurosurgery and others, without adequate communication from the ICU
service to the receiving service. We have tried several methods,
transfer forms, voice communication, transfer notes in the chart, etc.
None of the systems work (ICU staff forgets, receiving service is not
available, phone calls are not returned, etc). This did not happen when
the patient was cared for by the primary surgeon both in the ICU and on
the floor after ICU care as there was no transfer of provider only
location of care was different. Now that the ICU team and not the
primary surgeon takes care of the patient, the transfer of care not
ideal. I would like to know what system that you have found in major
trauma centers that works. What mechanism have you found that works
consistently

Thanks for your input

Norman

Norman McSwain MD, FACS

Professor, Tulane School of Medicine

Trauma Director, Spirit of Charity Trauma Center, ILH/MCLNO

norman.mcswain at tulane.edu <mailto:norman.mcswain at tulane.edu>

504 988 5111