Transfer from ICU

Robert Smith rfsmithmd at comcast.net
Tue May 3 15:13:42 BST 2011

Dr. McSwain,

Funny, you sort of assume everyone is doing things more or less the same.

At County all significant trauma is triaged to Trauma. We would have taken all trauma but as it is, only minor lacerations or simple ortho goes to the ED. There is a physically separate Trauma resuscitation area, separate dedicated staff, separate Trauma ICU, Obs unit etc. Whoever is on call in house "gets" all the trauma patients for a 24hr period starting at 8:00 AM. The patients stay on the Trauma service until Trauma feels they are stable to have a single system issue dealt with by another service like Ortho. So even if they're discharged to the floor, they're still on the Trauma service and are rounded on by the Trauma service. No other service is allowed to write orders on Trauma patients, and/or  the nurses are not allowed to act on them.

Rob Smith