radiocontrast media allergy

Joe Nemeth, Mr joe.nemeth at mcgill.ca
Tue May 3 13:36:44 BST 2011

I realize that in the context of trauma, we don't often have all of the info re: "allergies".

However, when facing the problem of a pt with a legit contrast "allergy" is anyone using a short prep (8 hour) instead of the 13 hour protocol (see ref below)?

jn

Joe Nemeth MD CCFP EM
Director
Department of Emergency Medicine
Montreal General Hospital
Assistant Professor
Montreal Children's Hospital
McGill University Health Centre

-Greenberger PA, Patterson R:  The prevention of immediate generalized reactions to radiocontrast media in high-risk patients.  J Allergy Clin Immunol 87. 867-872.1991;
-American College of Radiology :  Manual on contrast media,  6th ed. The College Reston (VA)2008. (accessed 2009 June 8). Available: www.acr.org/SecondaryMainMenuCategories/quality_safety/contrast_manual.aspx