Prefered clamp for chest tube insertion ?

Charles Brault c_brault at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 31 06:55:02 BST 2011

From: "Gross, Ronald" <Ronald.Gross at baystatehealth.org>
To: 'Trauma-List [TRAUMA.ORG]' <trauma-list at trauma.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:10 PM
Subject: RE: Prefered clamp for chest tube insertion ?

*******************
Not that we HAVE to
But strange that we manage to get away with very imprecise terms
I agree there is no vital emergency and we are just shooting the breeze

The same way some people or jsut all of us some of the time
Get away with incomplete or garbled phrases
That are seemlessly understood by others
Not because of the clarity of the "emitter"
But the conditioning and intelligende of the "receiver"

Like deciphering Radio (Poice, EMS, etc,) incomprehensible messages
. . . at first ? ? ?
Made much easier once the brain is so familiar with the recurring key words
That a few sylables, a context, tone or just plain luck and power of deduction
Makes this "Media" as plain as day ! ! !?

All this to come to :

"BMK"
Is this a 6" or closer to a 8" ?
I surmised it is curved !
Plain or serrated ?
Lockable !

"Regular Kelly"
Ok we know that one
It is about 5-6 inch !
Do you prefer it curved or straight ?
It usually comes serrated
... your preference is for locking ? Non ? or no difference ? ?  ?

I have had a bunch of "medical" orders come across my desk recently
You can tell the first time purchasers
Or those that are to busy are not sufficiently interested to do it nowhere close to minimally properly

Details, size, numbers, units Vs Boxes (and let's not get into cases) (Do you know what to do with 2million tongue depressor ?  . . . Depressing indeed when you are not even INTO popsicle Mega-Projects ! ;-)   )
Injectable Vs POs, Brand specific / or Generic acceptable...
Whitou making it clear minimum acceptable expiry dates. . . and checking them BEFORE accepting an order
All this makes, potentialy and in the ultimate reality, for interesting, read aggravating process for ALL involved

If you are looking for a point in this E-Mail !

Well go ahead !

. . . and let me know if you find one  ;-)

Charles
For the "routine" trauma-related hemopneumothorax I use a 38 or 40 Fr. Chest tube without the lethal trocar.  I use a BMK (Big Mother Kelley) on the tip of the tube to assist me inserting the tube into the pleural cavity after going through the chest wall incision with a regular Kelly clamp.