FAST

Gross, Ronald Ronald.Gross at baystatehealth.org
Fri Aug 26 18:02:24 BST 2011

My reasons for FAST on all trauma patients:
-  IF stable (and I don't really trust that word on ANY trauma patient till I have full work up done) then it may define ongoing intra-abdominal bleeding to be noted before VS's crash - especially frequent in cases where prehospital times are short as they might be in the urban setting
-  IF stable, then a negative FAST will relax my sphincter tone just enough to allow me to decide "to scan or not to scan".  IF negative and exam is negative as well, with a low suspicion I just might send the patient home.  On the other hand, if positive AND the patient has a negative exam, I would likely scan the patient and then keep him or her for observation for 6 - 12 hours, reexamining frequently to make sure I am not sending someone home with a hollow viscus injury
-  IF stable, it allows my residents many opportunities to learn how to do a very good and necessary procedue
-  If unstable, hypotention + FAST = IMMEDIATE trip to OR (in the absense, of course, of any other obvious blood loss)

Hope that helps.  Actually, I hope it makes sense!!  :-)

Take care,
Ron