preop lines in unstable patients

Curt Bergstrom cyberg66 at aol.com
Sat Aug 20 07:45:01 BST 2011

I suspect the fear from your anesthesia colleagues is that they will be blamed for the patient's untimely death in the event of an unfavorable intraop outcome. A strong defense to the claim that the patient died due to anesthesia's inability to resuscitate the patient is to have optimal access before surgery began. You should ask them what they fear (beyond release of 'auto-tamponade') by proceeding without delay.

My impression of a unstable trauma patient requiring laparotomy is that nothing causing their hypotension is going to get better by delaying surgical intervention until a cordis or other large bore central access can be placed. If your anesthesia department has a concern with proceeding, you might want to examine protocols for what access should be obtained in the trauma bay and get good access before you get to the OR.

Sent from my iPad