A drunk driving video from Australia-- that MADE a difference

Steve Walker walkersteve at bigpond.com
Mon Dec 6 00:38:29 GMT 2010

The problem is that everyone takes credit for a reduction in the road toll.

The Police point to a drop and say that it reflects increased
law-enforcement efforts.
The legislators take credit and say it reflects tougher legislation.
The engineers argue that it reflects improved car safety measures, and
improved road design.
Economists point out the correlation between tougher economic times and a
reduction in risk taking behavior.
Trauma services feel it is due to improved trauma care.
Educators and the media claim that they are getting the message through to a
new generation of drivers.
Sociologists argue that accepted norms are changing and behavior that was
once condoned is less acceptable today.

The reality is that everyone will argue that they have made a difference in
order to secure their share of scarce government funds.

There is probably some truth to all of these, and it is impossible to
determine the relative contribution of each factor.

In the end it doesn't really matter - a continued multifaceted approach is
likely to produce the best results.

Having lived and worked in Melbourne, I believe that the TAC campaign
certainly made a difference. But it was only one of the things that made a
difference.

Steve