trauma-list Digest, Vol 77, Issue 4

Ian Seppelt seppelt at med.usyd.edu.au
Thu Nov 5 10:30:23 GMT 2009

I think you are misrepresenting Mark's comments. I practice pretty
much the same way as Mark - every patient who can be confidently
predicted to need more than 7 - 10 days ventilation will get a
tracheostomy, and the earlier the better. However where there is some
doubt, I wait.

We are not talking about young soldiers here - they are unlikely to
need 7 - 10 days ventilation for their flail unless they have ARDS as
well - my chest trauma population is more likely to osteoporotic
smokers with emphysema and they are a very different kettle of fish.

Ian