Pre-hospital trauma follow up

Stephen Richey stephen.richey at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 12:32:42 GMT 2009

Scott,
This sort of thing was what I did- in addition to my clinical duties- as an
EMS supervisor.  We had a policy that every non-transfer case was followed
up on which made for a lot of work but it also helped us to tailor our
training and protocol development much more quickly and accurately than
would have otherwise happened.  Of course, we had it somewhat easier than a
lot of services in that we had a lower call volume and almost all of our
patients went to one hospital and only a minority went to the three other
hospitals in our area which made tracking cases down and getting the
necessary information a little simpler.

However, as Dr. Krin pointed out, it really does take an involved medical
director or honestly what is the point of the follow-up if you have no
practical way of applying what you've learned through protocol adaptation
and similar practices.  That said, if I can be of any assistance feel free
to contact me off the list.  It's been several years (eight to be precise)
since I was in this role full time but I am more than willing to assist with
developing or implementing a plan that will help you out.  Chances are a lot
of the issues you're concerned about are things we already found solutions
for.

Sincerely,

Stephen

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 6:04 AM, <Krin135 at aol.com> wrote:

> I might be a bit old fashioned, but to me, that's the job of the medical
> director working with the unit's CQI program...
>
> of course, that also means that you have to have an ACTIVE Medical Director
>  and CQI program...that actively oversee the quality of care.
>
> doing it that way also has the stamp of approval of the folks running HIPAA
>  and the various privacy programs.
>
> ck
>

> In a message dated 11/3/2009 22:29:19 Central Standard Time,
> SSherry at LHS.ORG writes:
>
> Does  anyone have any current process in place for pre-hospital providers
> to follow  up on trauma patients that were cared for in the field. What are
> /
> may be the  issues that would have to be considered (including hippa) How
> do you would you  structure this program. This would be intended for QA /
> QI
> and to give  feedback to EMS providers primarily. What are the unintended
> consequences?  What should be included in the feedback as a learning tool
> just telling what the patients injuries were.
>
> Shock Trauma - R  Adams... had one years ago  before 1999 that would allow
> EMS to querry  what happened to their patient whenafter transported. While
> pretty basic in  informationI thought it was helpful in the couple times I
> filled out the form  and allowed me to reflect on my treatment...  email me
> directly or place  comments on list. Thanks.
>
> Scott...

Stephen Richey, CRT

"A man's moral worth is established only at the point where he is ready to
give up his life in defense of his convictions."- Henning von Tresckow