Electronic trauma system benefits injured patients

Pret Bjorn p.bjorn at tds.net
Tue Nov 3 10:25:34 GMT 2009

Talk about hot off the presses.  Even I hadn't read this yet.

Of course, I was only one of many people who helped get our clinical
telemedicine initiative rolling ("teletrauma" is fast off the tongue, but we
also use the cameras for critical care pediatrics, strokes, psych,
rehab...).  And let's be honest: other hospitals have done this at least as
well as us (Rodgers at Fletcher Allen, Latifi in Arizona, some McSwain guy
in NOLA).  We're pleased to be sharing the ride.

Nonetheless, it's news, and we think it's a glimpse into the very near
future.  Our project just got the blue ribbon at the ACS Clinical Congress
-- first place out of the hundreds of abstracts submitted.

http://www.qualifiedsurgeons.org/clincon2009/press/grossmann.html

Sorry; that was shamelessly self-congratulatory.  I can be like that.  But I
think we're edging up on a tipping point in clinical communication.  Soon
enough, it'll all be multimedia.  Better for patients AND providers.
Increasingly accessible, durable, and reliable.

Happy to share, if anyone has questions off line.

Pret Bjorn, RN
Bangor, ME USA