Mechanical ventilation and flail chest

Ian Seppelt seppelt at med.usyd.edu.au
Sun Nov 1 06:36:07 GMT 2009

Garbage! Many patients are perfectly okay on the ventilator without
sedation, and don't report significant issues on long term followup.
Other patients need significant sedation and analgesia. Assess your
patients and treat them as appropriate. All our sedatives have their
own lists of  potential problems. Benzodiazepines in particular can
have very nasty long term neuropsychological complications.

Do what is right for the individual patient. And frequently reassess.

Ian Seppelt, Sydney.

On 01/11/2009, at 4:20 PM, parthasarathi goswami <parthasarathi013 at yahoo.com