A Regional Trauma System for London

Bjorn, Pret pbjorn at emh.org
Wed Mar 25 11:44:38 GMT 2009

Congratulations to all who've brought (dragged?) you this far.  I'm very
familiar with what an important and historic milestone you've reached.

Ken's correct of course that surgeons should be enlisted and invested in
the system to the strongest possible degree; but allow me to suggest
that inclusive systems are unsustainable if you start thinking of them
in terms of new, exogenous, top-down architecture.  Maine's inclusive
trauma system was built by ratifying and amplifying existing processes
and practices: identifying the long-beaten paths, then PAVING them.

This approach is surely informed by the insights of surgeons at trauma
centers; but trust me, those same surgeons have learned much from rural
EMTs and docs and EM nurses along the way.  Speaking for my region,
northern and eastern Maine has increasingly come to behave like one huge
hospital, with REALLY long corridors.  It's an incredibly instructive
paradigm with enormous returns in terms of overall process, and I'm
convinced it would not have been achievable without making inclusivity
the first mission of the system.

Best of luck, Karim.  We'll all be watching and rooting for you.

Pret Bjorn, RN
Bangor, ME USA