Lack of INTEGRATED TRAUMA SYSTEM cost Richardson her life ?

Stephen Hines stephen.r.hines at ntlworld.com
Sun Mar 22 17:55:27 GMT 2009

Not quite true Nick - the push to bypass for PCI came from the ambulance
service.  Unofficially we are now also seeing it for strokes.

Most paramedics and EMTs know where they would like to take their patients.
More than once have I heard people ask if they can put the patient back into
the ambulance and take them to a hospital that will not undo the care that
has been given pre-hospital.......

What is holing it up at the moment is two things -

	Firstly the money.  Since in the UK at the moment the money does not
follow the patient, even the Royal London complains if we take them an out
of are patient.

	Second is the politics.  Everyone wants the all singing all dancing
hospital to be their local one.  Every time there is suggestion that a
hospital is downgraded to allow for improved facilities to be concentrated
at one site we are told how many people will die. The politicians the join
the fight, and nothing changes!

Regards,

Stephen