Where are the SURGEONS?

Pret Bjorn p.bjorn at netzero.net
Sun Mar 22 15:23:41 GMT 2009

Dr. Mattox,

I think it's unfair to suggest that surgeons are typically or unilaterally
marginalized from system development without noting that many
surgically-oriented trauma systems suffer a lack of cooperation or
enthusiasm from the surgeons on the front lines.

Especially in rural systems (read: disproportionately blunt, hugely
non-operative, far more aged and comorbid), it has been my experience that
getting skilled surgeons to rise to the expectations of their peers who've
described a workable system (or their colleagues in EM, nursing, and
prehospital care who inhabit it) is more difficult than you're letting on.

My personal history with "SURGEONS" includes a whole lot of people you don't
seem to have encountered.  We've spent millions in Bangor to put the right
people on our team, and conspicuously none of them came from the local pool
of very talented private practitioners.

It's worth repeating: these are fine doctors; good people -- but not
generally interested or invested in the necessary hardships of excellent
trauma care.

The trauma surgeons you're most familiar with are not evenly distributed,
and many systems -- including those designed with Mattox-level surgeons in
charge -- struggle to compensate for that hard reality.  Until we know more
about Quebec, I'm tempted to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Pret