penetrating cardiac injury

kmattox at aol.com kmattox at aol.com
Mon Dec 21 01:44:45 GMT 2009

Questions:
How many of your institutions have perfusionist  stand-by/?in-house for
urgent bypass in these cases?

----We have perfusions we can call in for either trauma or other  cardiac
surgery.  Two of our truama (cardiac surgeons) are very comfortable  in
priming the pump and running it if necessary until the perfusionists get into
the hospital.

Who among the trauma surgeons is trained to feel comfortable placing
someone on bypass a opposed to calling in a cardiac surgeon?

---Almost 1/3 of our surgeons taking trauma call are comfortable in
cannulating a heparinized patient to be ready for the pump when it is  primed.

Who has experience using adenosine to simplify suturing/stapling?
---We have not used adenosine, not really needed.

In the case described, I would have used inflow occlusion after I had
prepared sutures on a couple of LARGE needles in an attempt to closure the
traumatic VSD just under or adjacent to the surface stab wound.   I  would snug
down, but not tie the sutures until I was able to show that I had  occluded
the SW VSD.   Only if I was unable to  close it off pump  from the surface
of the heart.