Adrenaline for stab heart

Miranda Voss mvossak at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 14 15:20:25 GMT 2009

Interested to read this. Have I understood correctly that adrenaline should not be given in penetrating cardiac trauma because the sutures tear out? Had exactly that scenario a few weeks ago and it sounds as though this is the explanation.

Apologies if this is common knowledge that I have missed, but pls could I get some clarity on the use of adrenaline in cardiopulmonary arrest after penetrating trauma in the “cardiac box”? I realise that it doesn’t make sense physiologically, but is adrenaline contraindicated? Intra-operative adrenaline infusions are a common anaesthesiology reaction to patients with a poor output and I had never felt the need to discourage them.

Thanks,

Miranda
Worcester, W Cape. SA.

The problem with any traumatic cardiac arrest is that you need to consider the cause. Cardiac laceration is up there in the differential. Suture the laceration and if you've got inotropes in the system it will pull itself apart.

Matt Dunn
EP
Warwick