blunt traumatic arrest pharmacotherapy

MARK FORREST atacc.doc at btinternet.com
Fri Dec 11 22:56:45 GMT 2009

Hi Ron
I have been following this with great interest as we have recently been having a real dilemma with a new training manual for UK firefighters and firearms officers. 90% of their work will be trauma related, however they may still attend some cardiac arrests. We have tried to produce a manual and treatment algorithm that brings together trauma and cardiac care into one simple process but whilst this has been fairly straight forward to sell to our trauma care providers and medical Faculty, the UK paramedics that have reviewed the manual just cannot get ALS out of there head and will not accept pulse checks, supportive ventilation for resp rates less than 8 and worst of all, they expect all 'unresponsive' patients or with abnormal breathing to get immediate chest compressions, as thats what BLS says!

We want to ignore this and to reach our guys to assess the casualty further in terms of conscious level, pulses,  CRT etc but the 'cardiac ALS' guys just wont have it and say that this introduces delays and does not fit ERC guidelines.

They also insist that ALS includes trauma!!! God knows why we all do ATLS, ATACC etc if that is the case!!!

How do we resolve this for these guys.....do we just accept CPR in every unresponsive victim??

Regards
Mark

Dr Mark Forrest
Consultant in Anaesthetics & Critical Care