blunt traumatic arrest pharmacotherapy

Stephen Richey stephen.richey at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 09:21:47 GMT 2009

Dr. Seppelt,
I think you might be surprised at how common blunt cardiac rupture/laceration is among fatally injured persons subjected to deceleration trauma.  It is not exceedingly common but it is common enough to warrant it a position as a differential diagnosis in this setting.  I can't point to any reports on the subject off the top of my head (at work and no access to my collection of injury epidemiology articles or pubmed) but i do know in my research into aircraft crashes it occurs in double digit frequency.  If you want formal but prelim numbers, let me know.

Steve
Typed on my Sprint HTC