Hacked e-mail

Greg Benton gregbenton at optusnet.com.au
Thu Dec 10 12:27:18 GMT 2009

The hackers are more likely spammers, they put your email addy in the reply
to field, so the email appears to originate from your account, it does not
mean it was sent from your account, the receiving mail server can track the
point of origin if needed but you will need the ISP concerned to do that,
speak to your tech support.

This is exactly why email forwards are such a problem, SPAM bots "harvest"
the email addresses on those big chain letters when folks are too lazy to
use BCC when they forward mail on, these email addresses then get used to
both send mail to, and to masquerade as the senders address to make the mail
look legitimate to unsuspecting recipients.

Change your email account pass word to be sure, but chances are high you
have not been hacked, somebody is probably just masquerading as you.

Cheers

Greg