Training surgeons from the "Trophy Generation"

Penny Stevens Penny.Stevens at SPARROW.ORG
Tue Oct 21 14:43:41 BST 2008

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122455219391652725.html

>>> rfsmithmd at comcast.net 10/21/2008 9:34 AM >>>
Could you cut and paste the article? Or tell the title or author?

-----Original Message-----
From: trauma-list-bounces at trauma.org
[mailto:trauma-list-bounces at trauma.org]
On Behalf Of Sise, Mike MD
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 9:24 AM
To: trauma-list at trauma.org
Subject: Training surgeons from the "Trophy Generation"

To all who train residents,

Today's Wall Street Journal contains a review of a book about the
millennium
generation and their sense of entitlement. The article starts on the
front
page of the Personal Journal section. We have noticed the attitudes
described in the article among our residents, particularly those born
after
1980. We are strategizing on how to best teach, inspire, manage, etc.
this
very challenging group from whom must come the next generation of
surgeons.
It makes the role of a teaching surgeon even more difficult in the
setting
of restricted hours and the other major challenges of modern trauma
and
critical care.

Who among you has found successful tactics in creating the strategy to
deal
with this challenge?

Mike Sise
San Diego

"Scripps Information Security"
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain privileged
and
confidential information and are intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you are not the
intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination
or
copying of this e-mail or any of its attachment(s) is strictly
prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify
the
sending individual or entity by e-mail and permanently delete the
original
e-mail and attachment(s) from your computer system. Thank you for your
cooperation.