BEST CASE OF MY CAREER

sjasmd at aol.com sjasmd at aol.com
Sun Jun 29 21:41:58 BST 2008

Norm
As a radiologist, I would try to fix internal carotid artery? with a stent graft IF there were prograde flow into the brain. In this circumstance of occlusion, I am reluctant to manipulate that clotted vessel for fear of creating a thromboembolism?to the brain. As I told Ken, I believe that the injury is at the level of the odontoid process from the angiogram and at our shop is generally not considered suitable for surgical exploration. Given his poorly controlled bleeding, it seemed prudent to intentionally secure all four injured vessels, ECA, ICA, occipital and posterior auricular.

You obviously have a load of experience in going after high carotid injuries. How high would you go?

sal