BEST CASE OF MY CAREER

sjasmd at aol.com sjasmd at aol.com
Sun Jun 29 21:27:16 BST 2008

Ken
your points are all good. When I first arrived he was intubated and fighting the ventilator and seemed to calm down when i instructed him to relax and let the blower breath for him. He was moving all his extremities. Perhaps his agitation had to do with severe anemia and cerebral insufficiency but I dont think he had any focal signs upon my arrival. After that we sedated him with atavan.

The angiogram whose lateral view was the only one that you saw? revealed an occluded internal carotid artery and a fairly high injury of the external carotid artery. Given the location of the external carotid injury, i presumed that the injury of the ICA was also fairly high and that the more proximal occlusion merely represented clot that had propogated down. There were also two ECA branches that were bleeding, but not visualized without selective catheterization of the occipital and the posterior auricular branches.

By the way, good pickup on the collateral flow to the ophthalmic from the internal maxillary artery.

As is standard practice, any injury of the carotid or vertebral arteries found by angiography warrants full angiography of both carotids and both vertebral arteries. The left vertebral arteriogram (attached) showed prominent collateral flow from the vertebral through the posterior communicating artery. The right carotid and vertebral arteriograms did not show flow to the distribution of the left internal carotid artery.

OK, so you would like the internal carotid artery embolized. The question that comes up is should the occluded vessel be secured with some coils proximally. Or would you like me to advance the catheter through the clot in the hopes that I can get into the distal ICA and do embolization there first.

Hold on to your ideas about what to do without an intact Circle of Willis for the moment. Lets get back to that strategy later.

sal