Hello again...

Dr Ross Hofmeyr wildmedic at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 20:08:46 GMT 2008

Thanks, Pret.

We've been very lucky not to have any serious trauma at all this season.
I've treated minor orthopaedic issues without a single broken bone, and
minor lacerations without a single suture needed.  The worst cold injury =
has
been some frostbite which could *just* be classified second =
degree/shallow
partial thickness.  (I can perhaps attribute the care which people took =
keeping their bits warm to the presentations I gave on the ship with =
some
lovely necrotic frostbite photos...)  My most interesting cases have =
been
medical - an unexpected drug reaction to local anaesthetic injected for =
dental procedure and a case of schistosomiasis (I kid you not) in one of =
the
summer team members.  I was also involved in a medevac flight of one of =
our
German counterparts who suffered a CVA.

I'm nearly at the point of resorting to episodes of Grey's Anatomy to =
get my
medical fix for the day... now THAT'S traumatic ;)

R.

Dr Ross Hofmeyr
Expedition Leader  & Doctor
South African National Antarctic Expedition
MBChB(Stell)=20
ross.hofmeyr at sanane.sanap.ac.za
wildmedic at gmail.com
ross at wildmedix.com