Suicide Blip

Bjorn, Pret pbjorn at emh.org
Fri Feb 29 14:34:24 GMT 2008

Our trauma service has seen a disturbing increase in suicides and
suicide attempts over the past couple of months.  We're rural, so both
the numerators and denominators are small; but hear me out:  for January
and February, we have six registered self-inflicted major traumas.
That's half again as many for all of '07, and six times the total for
Jan/Feb '06 and '07 combined.  It's a blip; but it's a hell of a blip.

Is anyone else seeing the same?

Pret Bjorn, RN
Bangor, ME USA