etiology of bradycardia in spinal

Ivan Hronek ivanhronek at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 22:35:24 GMT 2008

That's all I got Yaghi..

Summary
While many factors can contribute to cardiac arrest during spinal anesthesia, vagal responses to hypovolemia often play a key role. It is well established that vagal responses can be triggered by decreases in preload. JB Pollard, Stanford. http://www.apsf.org/resource_center/newsletter/2001/fall/04cardiac.htm

It is postulated that the etiology
of the bradycardia and asystole might be
a reflex mechanism such as the Bezold-Jarisch
reflex (4). H.Hyderally, Mt. Sinai J Med. 1/2 2002. http://www.mssm.edu/msjournal/69/v69_1&2_055_056.pdf

High levels of spinal or epidural blockade can produce severe hypotension. In a review of closed claims of patients who suffered perioperative cardiac arrest, a series of cases were identified that involved generally healthy patients undergoing spinal anesthesia.[178] Common features of these cases and subsequent case series[179] included high dermatomal levels of spinal anesthesia, liberal use of sedatives, and hypotension accompanied by bradycardia. The authors noted that adverse outcomes seemed to be associated with delays in recognition of the problem, delays in instituting airway support (particularly in sedated patients), and delays in administration of direct-acting combined α- and β-adrenergic agonists such as epinephrine. Although mild degrees of hypotension generally respond well to indirect-acting sympathomimetics such as ephedrine or incremental dosing of phenylephrine, the combination of severe hypotension and significant bradycardia under
 spinal anesthesia should in most clinical settings be treated promptly with incremental dosing of epinephrine.
(Miller textbook)

When properly conducted, spinal anesthesia has proved to be extremely safe. Caplan and associates[109] identified 14 cases of sudden cardiac arrest in healthy patients receiving spinal anesthesia. Because these cases seemed to appear suddenly after stable hemodynamic status, they concluded that a poorly understood potential exists for sudden cardiac arrest in healthy patients. It can be debated whether this represented a lack of vigilant monitoring and treatment as opposed to some mysterious physiologic explanation.[128] It is clear that hypoxemia and oversedation are not required for severe bradycardia and asystole to develop during well-conducted spinal anesthesia.[49][129] Likewise, it is clear that the development of severe brady-cardia after spinal anesthesia is not a new phenomenon but has been recognized for many years.[130][131] In any case, it should be emphasized that cardiovascular changes can occur rather suddenly after spinal anesthesia, and
 as Auroy and colleagues[114] highlight, these events continue to occur. (Miller textbook)

128. Zornow MH, Scheller MS: Cardiac arrest during spinal anesthesia [letter].  Anesthesiology  1988; 68:970.
129. Mackey DC, Carpenter RL, Thompson GE, et al: Bradycardia and asystole during spinal anesthesia: A report of three cases without morbidity.  Anesthesiology  1989; 70:866.
130. Thompson KW: Fatalities from spinal anesthesia.  Anesth Analg  1934; 13:75.
131. Wetstone DL, Wong KC: Sinus bradycardia and asystole during spinal anesthesia.  Anesthesiology  1974; 41:87.

Ivan Hronek MD
SFMC, Los Angeles
cell: 310 487-3288
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Anesthideas/
Don't fight darkness. Bring the light, and darkness will disappear.
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

Confidentiality Notice: This transmission and any attached documents may be confidential and contain information protected by State and Federal Medical Privacy statutes and is legally privileged. They are intended for use only by the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, or an agent of the intended recipient, you are prohibited from reading, disclosing, printing, saving, copying, using, or otherwise disseminating any information contained in this transmission. If you received this transmission in error, please accept our apologies and notify me at  ivanhronek at yahoo.com and delete the entire message and its attachments. Thank you. Disclaimer: this message contains the personal views of the author. The author will not be responsible in any way for procedures or approaches perfomed in the way suggested in this note.