Post pneumonectomy

Offner, Patrick PatrickOffner at Centura.Org
Sun Feb 24 04:42:38 GMT 2008

I believe that pneumonectomy in a patient who is in shock is a large
part of the problem. This patient is primed for systemic
hyperinflammation--and the second hit may take multiple forms--blood
transfusion, crytalloid over-resuscitation, volutrauma for the
ventilator, etc. In the OR, I have witnessed acute right heart failure
with hilar cross-clamping and pneumonectomy--and have wondered if RV
unloading with prostacyclin or inhaled NO would be beneficial in this
setting.

Pat

Patrick J. Offner MD MPH
Chief, Surgical Critical Care
St Anthony Central Hospital

-----Original Message-----
From: trauma-list-bounces at trauma.org
[mailto:trauma-list-bounces at trauma.org] On Behalf Of MARK FORREST
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 2:00 PM
To: Trauma & Critical Care mailing list
Subject: Re: Post pneumonectomy

Intersting this over-inflation theory, because we often used to see a
very similar x-ray at 24hrs in postop O-G patients, BUT on the
non-surgical side. Traditional anaesthetic teaching recommended
ventilating on one lung with 'low to normal' tidal volumes, which
inevitably led to over-inflation/distension of the healthy lung and the
white out of the lung field the follwoing day. This was inevitably made
much worse before we started running them dry, but by reducing the tidal
volume and maintining minute ventilation by increasing rate instead, we
greatly reduced the barotrama to the 'good' lung.

As for your case....still waiting for the sheep, pig or guinea pig model
that explains it!
Cheers
Mark

Dr Mark Forrest
Consultant in Anaesthetics & Critical Care Medical Director of Cheshire
Fire & Rescue Service Medical Director of ATACC