1:1 blood transfusions for shock

Ronald Gross Rgross at harthosp.org
Thu Feb 21 13:37:01 GMT 2008

Chris and Karim,

Sounds like something I mentioned earlier - i.e. a return to whole blood.  Fairly safe in the military, where the blood supply can be from a population that is screened yearly.  A bit more risky in the civilian world - and much more worrisome in some countries that in others.  And as to the decreasing use of whole blood in the current war, I am not sure of your assertion, Karim; I believe that the use of real time donors lined up to give to a fellow combatant who needs lots of blood now is used less often.  I think that it is used less frequently only because, as I have been told from folks in the CSH's over there, and flying the CCATs, the number of US casualties is going down, contrary to what the press asserts on the Nightly News.

Best to you all,
Ron

>>> "Karim Brohi" <karim at trauma.org> 2/20/2008 7:47 PM >>>
Chris

Great comments.  I take your point about whole blood in austere
environments.  But it's dangerous - people do catch nasty diseases from it.
Of course it's a lot easier to give 6 units of whole blood that 6 red cells,
3 plasma and 1 platelets (the equivalent) and so of course you see the
effect and think 'cool!'. But in civilian practice, or if you have the
military machine such as the US, it should be possible to do better.  Indeed
it is my understanding the whole blood is now rarely used in Baghdad now
that apheresis platelets are available (along with plasma etc).

Karim