CT confirmation of healing spleen

Ronald Gross Rgross at harthosp.org
Thu Feb 14 11:44:56 GMT 2008

Tina,

I am there with you.  In my practice, if we were lucky enough to have gotten away with non-op therapy, a spleen looking like the original one projected would remain in an athlete who would be out of the game till the next season, without a f/u CT scan.

Ron
>>> "tina" <tinagaar at online.no> 2/13/2008 4:31 PM >>>
Agree with Tim...comments so far seem to sum up nicely what we know about
follow-up after splenic injuries...very little. Even with a CT like this,
most would let him go back to unrestricted activity if he is otherwise
fine...so is there a place for late follow-up CT scans in clinically
restituted patients? Also I don't know of any evidence for restricting
activity 6 months?

We stopped doing late follow-up CT scans for splenic injuries a few years
ago..as we often ended up worrying about the CT appearance, however still
letting the patient go back to unrestricted activity after 8-12 weeks if
feeling ok, 12 weeks for grade 4/5, no evidence..

Tina Gaarder
Oslo