Post pneumonectomy pulmonary oedema

Karim Brohi karim at trauma.org
Tue Feb 12 23:20:41 GMT 2008

Thanks Mike.  Seems others on and off the list have had exactly the same
patient.

However I'm not buying any of the explanations so far put forward.  There
was no evidence of a 'cytokine storm' or any other excessive inflammatory
reaction.  White count was normal, CRP returning to normal.  No fever.
Normal coagulation. Literally one minute he was well, the next he had gross
pulmonary oedema, the next he was dead.  I don't buy other causes of ALI
either.  The time course is all wrong.  TRALI has essentially disappeared
since we moved to male-donor plasma.

Pulmonary embolism does not cause pulmonary oedema (duh).

The time-course of this strongly suggests a mechanical or hydrostatic cause.
My best guess explanation is that he had acute right heart failure, which
was undiagnosed.  He remained essentially asymptomatic (young man) until he
developed septal shift and then acute left heart failure.  Other
possibilities still huge MI or cardiac tamponade.  PM will pick these up,
not sure about the acute failure?

I did do a lung-twist intra-op.  Then it became clear he had a tear in the
pulmonary vein as it exited the pericardium, which was worsened by the
twist.  Also the position of the injury meant that the damaged lung was
inaccessible once twisted.  Finally, useful as the twist is, I'm not sure
how this is different from a hilar clamp - unless it's a partial twist and
there is still some perfusion / oxygenation.  I like the idea of developing
a model to explore this.

I tried really hard not to take the whole lung out.  Should have tried
harder.

Karim