Post pneumonectomy pulmonary oedema

Sise, Mike MD Sise.Mike at scrippshealth.org
Tue Feb 12 21:18:55 GMT 2008

Karim,

In our San Diego County 20 + year, Trauma Registry we have very very few survivors of pnuemonectomy. Seems to cross a threshold of severity every time we do it. Lots of patients successfully managed with extensive partial lobectomy etc. as I'm sure you've experienced. We always predict death whenever we take out the entire lung. Pulmonary edema / severe ARDS seen in many patients and worsening often delayed during initial postop course.
Great question for the members of the list.

Mike Sise
San Diego