Who's doing 1:1 blood transfusions for shock?

Ronald Gross Rgross at harthosp.org
Tue Feb 12 16:15:45 GMT 2008

Mike, Tim, et all,

I think Tim and I have the same blood bank!  We, too, are going to the 1:1:1 more often than not; I do it routinely largely because that is what I was doing when I was in the sandbox, and because several of my colleagues are starting to believe, thanks to Holcomb and our early results here.  It has NOT been universally accepted, however, and I am not sure why.

Ron
>>> "Hardcastle, Tim, Dr <tch at sun.ac.za>" <tch at sun.ac.za> 2/12/2008 11:03 AM >>>
Mike

We do it as best possible - our blood bank tries their best to make it difficult. My subjective opinion is that we use less blood in total and have less abdomens left open after OR due to bowel oedema (same reason we use modern starches and geletins as resus fluids!!)

Tim
Dr T C Hardcastle
M.B.,Ch.B.(Stell); M.Med(Chir); FCS(SA)
Senior Surgeon / Senior Lecturer: Surgery (Trauma and ICU)
ATLS  instructor and DSTC Cape Town Course Director
Clinical Head (Director): Diana Princess of Wales Trauma Unit
Division of Surgery (General) Room 4064
Department of Surgical Sciences
Tygerberg Hospital / University of Stellenbosch
PO Box 19063
Tygerberg 7505
Western Cape
South Africa