question about projectile composition

Mike Smertka medic0947969 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 30 21:55:07 BST 2008

Hello again all, In the news today I saw that the army is studying the longterm effects of shrapnel left in the bodies of soldiers. It made me think of all the GSW fragments I have seen left in patients over the years. The standard missile composition I understand to be copper jacketed lead. Also common hollow point and softpoint projectiles have no covering at all. Does anyone know of the longterm health effects of tihs either in civillian studies or anecdotes? What about projectiles with tungsten? Does location in the body have an effect on outcome? Look forward to the input from the list. thanks again,Mike