Succinylcholine in Trauma

William Bromberg brombwi1 at memorialhealth.com
Fri Aug 22 14:21:26 BST 2008

What's your dose of Ketamine?

bill bromberg

>>> <bensonblues at comcast.net> 8/22/2008 12:40 AM >>>
Anthony and Garth,
<snip>

I intubate at least one person a day in the ED who is non-fasting, tends to have multiple medical problems, and is usually in extremis. I use ketamine (propofol if head injury) and vecuronium .25 mgkg. The usual dose of vecuronium is 0.1 mg/kg, but higher doses have been shown to have a faster onset that approaches the onset of SCh. In the unlikely event that you need to reverse the drug, 1 - 2 mg of physostigmine should do it. I stick with this method because it has worked for me and my patients (so far, knock on wood) for more than 20 years.

Really, whatever way you choose to skin your cat should be the one that experience has proven to you to be the safest and most effective. Your track record will speak for itself in the end.

Don Benson, DO, FACEP
St. John Hospital
Detroit